Tottenham High Road, London

Image copyright
Google

Image caption

The boy was taken to hospital from the scene in High Road, Tottenham, but he died from his injuries

A toddler has died after falling from a block of flats in Tottenham, north London.

The child, aged about 18 months, fell from Stellar House, just off Tottenham High Road, on Thursday morning.

He was taken to hospital by paramedics where he was pronounced dead an hour later.

Haringey Council, which manages the block of flats, said a “full investigation” would be carried out.

Meral Dervik, a neighbour in Stellar House, claimed the toddler’s mother had been complaining to the council about a faulty handle, although the authority has not commented on the claim.

She said: “The window, it was faulty. Nearly two months, that was what [the mother] was saying.

“She was calling the council to come to fix it. The handle was not secure.”

Ms Dervik said the boy’s mother was “shocked and upset”, and added: “She was looking after the kids brilliantly, she cared about the children.”

Image caption

Stellar House is located near to Tottenham Hotspur’s new stadium

Formal identification and a post-mortem examination will take place in due course.

The Metropolitan Police has launched an investigation and is treating the death as unexplained.

Declining to comment on the issue of faulty windows at the block, the council issued a statement from its chief executive Zina Etheridge that said their “deepest sympathies” were with the family.

‘Very sad incident’

“We can confirm that the block is managed by Homes for Haringey, who are carrying out a full investigation into the circumstances,” she said.

“The police are currently investigating and it would be inappropriate for us to comment further, or speculate, until more is known about this very sad incident.”

The London Ambulance Service said it was called at 10:46 GMT and “sent a number of resources” to the scene near Langhedge Lane.

London’s Air Ambulance was also dispatched.

A spokeswoman for the ambulance service said: “We treated an infant at the scene and took them to hospital as a priority.”

wireless house alarm installation farningham

Source link

Leave a reply